Your vehicle is a major investment, so there’s little reason why you’re frantic, upset, and wondering what to do after you’ve been involved in an auto accident. Obviously the first and most important thing to do after being involved in an automobile accident is to ensure that you are safe with a Land surveyor. If you need medical attention, get it immediately. Once you are safe, there are a few more things that you should do.
– Remember that it is important to stay calm. You’re certainly worked up after an accident, but if you’re not calm you’ll only make the situation worse. Call a spouse, parent, family member or friend if need be.
– Exchange names and insurance information with the other driver, if your accident involved another automobile.
– If your vehicle is still operable but you do not feel safe driving it, find a tow company to handle the task. Many will provide you with a free tow within a specified mile range, if you use their body shop for repairs.
– Always do your research before hiring an auto body shop. Remember that, by law, you are required only to obtain one estimate, so if you have a company that you fancy over another, you can use them without hesitation. Of course, if you choose, you can also get estimates from several companies.
– Remember that you have the right to choose the auto repair shop of your choosing. You cannot be forced to have your repairs made at any particular shop.
What do you Say?
The information above is important to remember when you’ve been involved in an automobile accident, but something that many people forget after an accident is that they should not say anything about the fault of the accident. Never admit guilt to the other driver, although you should make sure that the other party is okay. Some people say too much and it hurts them in the long run. Do not make this same mistake!
A Picture Speaks a Thousand Words
If you can, make sure to take pictures of the accident. You should take pictures of the vehicles, the location of the accident and of those involved in the accident. These photographs may come in very handy later down the line. It never hurts to take them, and have them, in case you need them later on.